Terrific Gimino piece on biggest home games ever, EXCEPT he forgot one......
ValleyCat (Regular+; 23675)
Posted on: 11-20-2009.
Client: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; DI60SP1001; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2)
Message views: 1148 (Score: 0)
OK, it is unfair to say that he "forgot" one, since you probably can't forget something that happened before you are born. But perhaps Oaks, rickyk, Kauai and a few others of you recall the Cats game against Wyoming in November, 1968.
That was a HUGE game. Wyoming was the reigning WAC power at that time. The Cowboys had actually played LSU (I believe) in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day. Jim Kiick was their star, the same Jim Kiick who teamed with Larry Csonka in the backfield of the 17-0 Miami Dolphins Super Bowl championship. I think Vic Washington and Gene Huey were Wyo's stars in 1968. Anyway, when we played them it was for fist place in the WAC, my memory is that we were both undefeated in the league and we still had ASu to play. And it looked pretty clear that the WAC champ would get a bid to the Sun Bowl (which was one of maybe 7 bowls at that time). Before a crazy sell-out crowd (40,000??), we beat Wyoming in a great game, 14-7, and only had to beat ASu the next week to win the league and go to the Sun Bowl.
But Coach Darrell Mudra said to the Sun Bowl committee sometime after the game that because Arizona beat the defending champs Wyoming and Wyoming had already beaten ASu, and Arizona now sat in first place all alone, and we'd still be in a first place tie even if ASu beat us, "TAKE US NOW or forget it!" He refused to wait for the outcome of the ASu game, which is what everyone anticipated. Well, the Sun Bowl caved in and invited us, outraging every ASu fan on earth (probably rightly so). We got the invite and hosted ASu in the season finale. They creamed us in "their bowl game."
That Wyoming game was, I am sure, the hugest home game of the WAC era.
- Terrific Gimino piece on biggest home games ever, EXCEPT he forgot one. - ValleyCat, 11-20-2009 (Views: 1148; Replies: 33)
- I was there with my Dad - Maui, 04-07-2011 (Views: 205)
- Thus came the Ultimatum Bowl [nt] - rickyk, 04-07-2011 (Views: 169)
- [nt] - Obsessed, 04-07-2011 (Views: 179)
- I was there in the student section - catnaz, 11-21-2009 (Views: 329)
- That was a great game - I was 14 yrs old and sat next to the Wyo fans down near the - Kauaicat, 11-21-2009 (Views: 294)
- Thus...the birth of the Fiesta Bowl... - Redondo Beach Cat, 11-21-2009 (Views: 299)
- I was there and I think that game... - Obsessed, 11-21-2009 (Views: 305)
- The way it was - Black Oaks, 11-20-2009 (Views: 335)
- Former Star Sports Editor Abe Chanin... - b_dog, 11-20-2009 (Views: 546)
- One other thing, we finished 11-1 in the 98 regular season, for the record :) [nt] - excatdb, 11-20-2009 (Views: 276)
- You're right ... - Gimino, 11-20-2009 (Views: 345)
- Also ... - Gimino, 11-20-2009 (Views: 364)
- I remember that game, kinda - RioCat, 11-20-2009 (Views: 279)
- I was minus 7 years old when that happened....I dont remember! - Filthy Cats, 11-20-2009 (Views: 279)
You do not have the required security level to post to this thread.
Click to report a bug!